CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Agent Smiley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:33:32 PDT
attachment is a notepad file from another list - it seemed relevant

"Numbers never lie but statistics can say anything."
 - Robert Anteau
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html
http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/mosaic/theater.html

This is absolutely intolerable that americans have to give up their children in order to secure a place to sleep... I think we need to bring this situation to the attention of NATO... It seems to me that massive air strikes are required on the capital in order to restore civility and kindness to the regional Government. I am outraged that the UN has done nothing to help solve the human suffering in the United States. I hear a constant barrage from the media in regards to the Butcher of Baghdad and the similaities between Slobidan Milosivic and Hitler... But never a word about the Leader of the Free World who has turned his back on his own... I say bring home the troops, disolve NATO, stop the War on Drugs and lets take care of our own....People are hungy and in need here in the USA, drug abuse is not a crime, only an illness and there is no war....I want a President not a leader of the free world....How free is a world that is bombed into submission... They are doing the same thing to us "bombing that is" submit or be homeless. Submit or go to jail, be the same as everyone else, believe like we tell you to. Do as I say or else....I have had enough of "them and their shit" ... Lets make a change to "Do as we the people tell you to or out of office.... Let them see what life on the street is like. Politicians that is....Clinton, Barr, Lott, Forbes, Bush, Dole and the list goes and on.... Hey BTW Happy Easter everyone....mike www.november.org | www.fear.org F.E.A.R. & November Coalition Forum: www.libertyjournal.com/liberty_forums/index.cfm?cfapp=10" From: Tom Boland <[log in to unmask]> To: "HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK list" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Mothers losing children in Welfare Reform's wake: Wisconsin Works FWD Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 10:58:50 -0700 (PDT) "Joe Volk, head of the communitywide Task Force on Emergency Shelter and Relocation Services, said that fallout from W-2 had hit the shelter system, mainly in two ways: families staying longer and more mothers giving up their children and moving into shelters.' -- from article below http://www.jsonline.com:80/news/Metro/990401thosewhodbehurtdecryb.asp FWD Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - April 1, 1999      THOSE WHO'D BE HURT DECRY BUDGET      By Margo Huston of the Journal Sentinel staff One after another, ordinary people and community leaders took to the podium Wednesday to tell state lawmakers that Milwaukeeans will suffer gravely from provisions in Gov. Tommy G. Thompson's proposed 1999-2001 biennial state budget. Yolonda Cannon, 35, a mother of two who has AIDS, spoke on behalf of herself and her sister, Cashmarie Cannon, 42, who has five children and also has AIDS. Cannon said the state's $100 a child caretaker supplement was not enough to provide for children. She said that she and her sister could not work and the families were not eligible for the Wisconsin Works (W-2) welfare reform. In response, state Rep. Antonio Riley (D-Milwaukee) said that when W-2 was enacted, an amendment was defeated that would have allowed people with HIV or AIDS to be exempt from some work requirements and still receive benefits. "I think we'll go back and resurrect that," he told the sisters. Joe Volk, head of the communitywide Task Force on Emergency Shelter and Relocation Services, said that fallout from W-2 had hit the shelter system, mainly in two ways: families staying longer and more mothers giving up their children and moving into shelters. Volk urged the state to double its contribution to homeless programs, from $1.1 million a year to $2.2 million. In response, state Rep. Robert Cowles (R-Green Bay) said that he believed increasing services for homeless people would be an appropriate use for the state's millions of dollars of excess federal welfare money. State Sen. Brian Burke (D-Milwaukee), Senate chairman of the Joint Committee on Finance, which sponsored the "listening session" at the Milwaukee Public Schools Administration Building, said that speakers "reflected a cross section of community dissatisfaction with the proposed budget." Many speakers told of hardships that they and others will suffer because of cuts in state money for alcohol and drug addiction treatment, for community aid and for programs that would lower class sizes in poor Milwaukee schools. In related developments: The five W-2 agencies in Milwaukee County, along with most counties, have qualified for "fast track" renewal of their contracts, meaning they won't have to participate in open competition for the next two-year W-2 contracts, beginning Jan. 1, 2000. The governor has named a Wisconsin Works and Alcohol and Drug Abuse Task Force, with 12 of the 20 members from Milwaukee. J. Jean Rogers, economic support administrator for the Department of Development, will lead the task force, which is the state's response to calls from community leaders for an extra $10 million to combat abuse problems. END FORWARD **In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without charge or profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of information for non-profit research and educational purposes only.** HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn> 4,000+ POSTS by or via homeless & ex-homeless people Nothing About Us Without Us - Democratize Public Policy