RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 13:05:11 -0700
From:
Tom:

Peter, <[log in to unmask]>:
>This is new to me. Have all brands of wild rice been heated and if so
>how come?

Tom:
Dorleen Tong visited a wild rice producer, who told her that wild rice
is baked to give it a nutty flavor. I have never heard of store-bought
wild rice sprouting roots, despite long soaks and letting it (try to)
"sprout" for days. So, I suspect the info on baking is correct.

The folks at the RAW Restaurant in San Francisco claim their wild rice is
actually raw - but it still doesn't sprout roots, after weeks of soaking (so I
suspect it may be baked also.)

Regards,
Tom Billings