RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:36:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
JL:
>> -  To avoid too many short "me too" messages the daily message limit
>> for each list member will be set at three from now on.

Jean-Louis:
>Good idea. I don't like "I agree" messages followed by 200 lines
>quoted.

I agree. :-)

Peter:
>> If you want to respond to more than three messages (...) or
>> string them into one message like I often do.

Jean-Louis:
>I disagree. Doing so makes it difficult to follow the discussions,
>especially when you consult the archives.

The alternative would be to overflow the list with a cascade of
messages which would be even less attractive. I could - and probably
should - have posted less but that was not always easy as I as
moderator often was involved in many issues. I tried to post my long,
multiple responses when things on the list were slow, and I think the
benefits this way overshadowed the negative aspects, even though it
made it more difficult to follow the threads. However, with things
having slowed down lately and myself needing to post less (so far
without much success :-/), I have been putting responses to only a few
(2-4) messages together and having the content reflect in the subject
line. I think this is a good compromise between the two extremes, and I
hope you will find it agreeable as well. One of the reasons I hope we
will be able to make the change to the new server is that it with its
advanced archive search capabilities will be able to make up for poor
or misleading subject headers and make it easier to locate specific
subjects.

>In fact, I almost never read your messages in the archives.

And unfortunately often not responded to them either. :-(

Peter:
>>  -  Trim the message you are replying so that you do not have ten or
>> more lines of this message followed by only one of two of your own.

Jean-Louis:
>A good guideline would be to have a longer answer than the quoted
>part.

Or to just be a little aware of the proportions.

Peter:
>>  -  Try not to have too many spelling mistakes in your posts. Do not
>> get overly concerned especially if English is not your native tongue

Jean-Louis:
>Phew!! No remarks about grammar?

I take it you are being a little sarcastic here. ;-) In case you are
not, as another courtesy to the non-English natives we have on board,
maybe we should try to improve our grammar by trying not to overdo the
use of slang.

I thank you for your feedback.

Best, Peter