RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 04:51:20 -0500
From:
"Xenu's Sister" <[log in to unmask]>
At 05:07 AM 6/15/97 -0400, Robert Wynman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Judy 6/14:
>>Have you ever tasted the natural so-called sweetener (and anti-oxidant)
>called Stevia?

I've heard that the quality varies widely based on the
brand. I've been using Now brand for months, and love
it. I use the liquid extract and my boyfriend uses the
white powder. We also bought the green leaves,
but that sits unused because we don't really know
what to do with it.

>Bo7b:
>No, why is it called "natural"?

 From http://www.fastlane.net/~petro/stevia.htm
---
The Stevia rebaudiana (Bert.) Bertoni is a plant
native of the Amamba mountain range on the
border between Brazil and Paraguay. The native
Guarani indians who used this plant as a
sweetener for centuries, called it "KaE-HeEA",
which means "sweet herb".

The Stevia plant is a perennial root, filiform
and abundant, producing economically
during 5 years or more, with 2 annual harvests,
in soil conditions of low fertility. The leaves
measure form 2 to 3 inches long and  1/2 to
1 inch wide. When the plant reaches maturity,
it is on the average 3..2 ft. tall.

That's "natural" enough for me.

Vickie