RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 14 May 1997 18:03:32 -0700
From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Zephyr wrote:

> I don't think you need to worry about that with store bought steaks of
> large mammals, especially natural or organic ones.  I believe they are
> rigorous in there trimming and cleanliness procedures.  America is very
> uptight about germs and dirt so for something to get to the store and
> turned into a steak or a roast you can bet it's not got intestinal gook
> on it.  Any way the cuts I like best are Porterhouse, standing rib roast
> or prime rib (prime has no bones), top sirloin, filet minion, and New
> York.  For less expensive cuts shoulder is good, even the seven bone is
> edible, though again tough.  I think the best buy is top sirloin.  Where
> I shop the seven bone is around $2 to $3/lb the filet mignon is $15 to
> $17/lb and the top sirloin is $6/lb.  (I just found out today, after I
> wrote this that the porterhouse is actually one side of the bone the cut
> that becomes New York and the others ide that becomes filet mignon.  The
> filet price is so much higher due to labor and probably snobbery - our
> porterhouse costs $9/lb.  Weird huh?)  Top sirloin is tender and tasty,
> though not as much as the filet, but I don't think the filet is 2.5 times
> better than the sirloin.  On the other hand top sirloin is 2 to 4 times
> better and 5 times easier to eat than the cheaper.  On yet another hand,
> if you like it you like it.

Good information for me. Thanks. I think I insult my butcher when I ask, but I'm a good customer. He
has great lamb chops. And right now
they are tasting really good, a slight lemon-herb like flavor that makes
me hum 'yum', my signal that my body needs something. His beef and lamb
are from Texas, and no drugs, etc. I trust them.

My best,

Ellie