RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 00:03:04 -0500
From:
Thomas:
>Typically, there will be a small amount of premature drop of avocados, due
to wind or animal (bird) damage. Large amounts of premature fruit drop may
result from windstorms, freeze damage, or heavy rains at the wrong time. Fruit
drop, if not damaged, will often ripen. So, our "naked ape" might find a few
ripe avocados *under* the tree, but never any ripe fruit actually *on* the
tree.

Zephyr:
My experience in foraging avocados for four years in Hawaii is that they
fall to the ground just before or when they are ripe.  It is an ideal
situation for gathering food.  Many more than a "few" as you put it, more
like buckets from a small grove.

> avocado trees are brittle and too dangerous to climb for fun.
>Avocado trees have very brittle wood that breaks easily; even a very large
>branch can break - esp. if it is home to carpenter ants. Due to the high
risk in climbing avocado trees, no "naked ape" would climb an avocado tree for
fun -indeed, there are good reasons to avoid climbing avocado trees!

Avocados, that I have climbed, are mighty strong trees that I trust
completely within a few feet of the trunk or on a thick branch.  Maybe
you're refering to hybrid orchard avos, not wild seedlings or unpruned
grafted types that I've been in.

>Let me repeat that for emphasis: nature's real first law,
>which will be abbreviated RFL, is: SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.

I don't belief that.  I think this opinion comes from a mind that has
already separated itself and is viewing from competition.  NOt that
competition is non existent, it is, but to call this RFL seem ludicruous to
me.  Natures' first law, if anything is mystery, the second law is love,
the third is man like's to think it understands nature.

At least were not wasting paper (directly),

Zephyr