CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"David A. Witbrodt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 10:18:39 -0500
Peter,

> I have been curious about the introduction to Animal Farm. Does anyone
> know where I can read it?

  The introduction you asked about was published first in London, and a
few weeks later by the New York Times Book Review.  I was able to look it
up without much trouble here at a small college using its library's NYT
microfilms:

  "The Freedom of the Press," New York Times Book Review, Oct. 8, 1972.

Dave W.

"...for if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass
of human beings ... would learn to think for themselves; and when once they
had done this, they would sooner or later realize that the privileged
minority had no function, and they would sweep it away." - Emmanuel Goldstein