CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Harry Veeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 12:25:15 -0400
Hi,

I'm new to this list!

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Tresy Kilbourne wrote:

> Laura Simson, wrote:
>
> >        Anyone else?
> There was a book reviewed recently in the Nation that NC collaborated on,
> about university life under the Cold War. The review mentioned that NC
> said that he never felt pressure at MIT as a result of his work.
>
> FWIW, I don't think getting arrested for committing civil disobedience
> counts as "persecution," since that's the point of civil disobedience.
>
> Best,
>
> Tresy

Huh? The point of civil disobedience is not to get arrested. It is to
protest against something. Whenever protestors are arrested this has the
effect of shutting down the protest. Shutting them up so to speak. This
is a form of "persecution".

Harry Veeder