CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Tanmoy Bhattacharya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:21:25 +0000
At 23:05 24/03/99 EST, John Korber wrote:
>OK, so which team do you want to support with a lot of flag waving? Just
>remember the stadium all these sporty gangsters are playing in is the world.
>Gangsters are just what they all are.

It's interesting to note that a local news radio stn in London (97.3FM)
announces in a hushed tone: "We will keep you informed of all the latest
developments of the conflict (sic) in Yugoslavia ..."
And not surprisingly, after few minutes a commercial for sport news in
their own frequency, promises: "We will bring you the latest score whenever
there's a big game around". It's made apparent for us how the west views
wars as games.
Well, a over stuffed, satiated, audience must be entertained ... at any
cost...The hushed tone is very much a part of this game, it seems to be
saying: "wait and stick to our channel, there's more to come ...". Yeah,
dip in that fat over-fed hand inside that jumbo-size bag of over-buttered
popcorn and keep your eyes (and demented open mouth) glued to our channel
or whatever and you won't be disappointed.
Is it any wonder that the clearest example of English nationalism is to
found in football grounds (refer to the incidents in France 98 carried out
by the English and German football fans)? IF wars are games, games are wars
too ...