RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:04:38 -0800
Hi Intuit,

(Do you really call yourself that?  Is it because you're so intu it?)
Thanx for expressing your holistic approach to life.  I myself have been
trying  to formulate my thoughts on the matter into words that make
sense.  Your letter prompted me to try harder.

I feel embarrassed to contribute to the list because my own diet is so
unevolved, compared to what I'm seeing from most of you, but
nevertheless I'll stick my neck out and see if anyone shoots me down
(yuck, pardon the mixed metaphors).

A feeling of compassion toward the animal kingdom is something many of
us experience.  These feelings are part of who we are and should not
be trivialized.  I feel that if ninety-nine well-designed scientific studies
were conducted and all ninety-nine indicated that eating some raw meat
is healthier than eating some cooked beans, I'd still eat the beans*,
because I'd feel that the miniscule difference in my health would be a
small price compared to the horrors of animal agriculture and slaughter,
or even hunting down a wild animal myself.  A bargain, really.

* One of the Kirt/Peter/Ward triangle (I forget which) might say I'm
"attached" to vegetarianism because I've "identified" myself with it.  This
may be correct in part.  But I've done some soul-searching and feel
there's more to it that just that.

Well, this has been my attempt to put the veg back into veg-raw.  I'd be
interested to hear the viewpoints of some of the other silent members of
the list.

BTW, off the subject, but I was surprised recently when someone
reported that a decrease in sex drive is common when one switches to
all raw foods.  I would have guessed the opposite, esp. after the worst
of the de-tox is over.

Cheers,
Martha