RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Wynman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 02:50:21 -0400
In a message dated 97-08-05 02:24:42 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

 > I just bought an avocado today, and I'm not sure if it is ripe.  Right
> now  it feels hard.  How do tell?  Also, I'm looking for suggestions on how to
 > eat it. :)

It took me three years on Instincto to figure this one out (if the avocado
gets sliced open before it's ripe, it's co post & will never ripen):  spear
the avocado with a needle-sharp thin pocket knife blade.  In short order
you'll discover how much resistance means it's ripe & if it's too firm, put
it in a paper bag to hasten its ripening.

How to eat it?  I prefer using the hole that opens just beneath my nose when
the 'cado smells delectable.

Zephyr eat's 'em like he eats everything, like an apple, skin &* all,
spitting out whatever parts are not delicious.  Don't invite him to dinner
just after you've cleaned your carpets.  'tho he feels it's non-instinctive,
I cut 'em in half around the seed, twist the halves to separate 'em, slap a
sturdy knife into the seed (use middle of blade rather than tip) & twist to
remove the seed cleanly from that half.  a fork, tines straddling the knife
blade will gently ease the seed off the knife onto plate or Zephyr's carpet..
 The technique works extremely well in restaurants & the avocado is my
favorite supplement to the often winpy restaurant salads.  Instincto can be
fun!  :-)
<<
'ealth & 'appiness on y'all

Bob