RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 21:36:54 -0400
Judy Pokras <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Don Wiss wrote:

>>Here's a list with gluten. This is all inclusive and only omits types of
>>wheat like durum and semolina. Some included are types of wheat, but are
>>included as some people think they aren't wheats.

>>Wheat, rye, barley, spelt, faro, triticale, kamut, bulgur, and maybe oats.

>Thanks, Don.  I've never heard of faro.  Where do you find it, and what does
>it taste (and look) like?

It is just another name for spelt. It is included as the NY Times had an
article a month or so ago where the faro peddlers were claiming it was
gluten-free. You will note that the spelt peddlers make a big deal of spelt
not being wheat. Spelt is a type of wheat, and they are just practicing
market differentiation.

Also, I'd love to get my hands on the West African grain, fonio.  I've tried
unsuccessfully to find some.  No seed companies have any.  A New York Times
article in April 1996 said it's one of the world's best-tasting grains, easy
to grow in even poor soil, and highly nutritious.

I sent in a search request to the celiac list. Found one hit: "Research
Yields Underused Source of Food in Africa: Grains" New York Times April 23,
1996. It highlights 5 gluten free, grains from Africa: pearl millet, fonio,
African rice, sorghum and tef.

> I've tried unsuccessfully to find some.

I stuck fonio in AltaVista and got 51 hits. One said: "A minor cereal of
importance only in West Africa where it is
eaten in place of rice during famines. The seeds are cooked by steaming the
whole grain."

Another had: "Fonio. This indigenous West African plant is grown mainly on
small farms for home use in porridge, soups, or couscous. It is probably
the world's fastest maturing cereal and is particularly important as a
safety net when other foods are in short supply or market prices are too
high for poor people to afford."

I didn't really check very many links, but I don't think you will find it
here. If someone did try to grow it in the US, you have to do it in some
place with a climate like in West Africa.

Don.