NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paula Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 16:32:49 -0400

<<  At 52, it is hard to
 think of not EVER having some of my favorite comfort
 foods--a grilled cheese sandwich, yogurt, cream of tomato
 soup--without having to "pay for it" for several days.

They do make soy yogurt.  And I love my son's non dairy cream cheese, sour
cream and ice cream (all dairy free made with soy)

 My question: how have some of you dealt with friends
 and family who, though they may not say it, think you're
 some kind of a "freak" and that your diet needs are just
 a total inconvenience for them?? >>

With 2 kids with life theatening food allergies, I have to tell you some
people understand it and some just will never get it, or maybe they just have
no clue on it.  For them I try and educate, although sometimes people just
still don't get it.  We were featured in out local paper on our dangerous
food allergies and all our friends and relatives said,  wow we had no idea
what you have to go through.  People equate food alleries with sneezing.  I
just make it easy and bring a cooler full of food to friends or travel.

My son says he is healthier than most people because he eats very healthy,
not the artery clogging peanut butter and mac and cheese.  Treat yourself to
some good cookbooks.  My favorite is The Complete Food Allergy Cookbook by
Marilyn Gioannini and she avoids corn, wheat, gluten, corn too.  There are so
many foods out there, its a matter of exploring and having some fun doing it.
 And laugh at the people who just don't get it.

Last weekend we went to Minneapolis and I called a Restaurant and inquired if
they had broiled chicken or hamburger.  The owner said, "we have chicken but
it is breaded with flour".  I said" my son is allergic to wheat".  And he
said, "its not breaded with wheat its flour."  See, he just doesn't get it.