NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tammy Beck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 20:28:54 -0400
I have never posted on this list, so am not sure if this will reach you.  I
have been receiving posts for about a month, but until now have seen little
about the behavioral changes in children as a result of food and other
products they come into contact with.

At age 2 1/2 our son Christopher was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD.  It was
suggested that we begin Ritalin.  After 9 years in health care, I felt that
this was not the approach I wanted to persue with my TODDLER.  Eventually,
after extensive research we found a pediatrician who specializes in Childhood
Behavioral Issues.  There was very little literature (and other material)
available on diet issues with regard to our son's disorder.  Dr. Brenner
pointed us in the right direction.  We have been working with Christopher's
diet for almost 8 months now .... with TREMENDOUS improvement.  His diet is
preservative free, artificial coloring free, filler free, additive free,  and
dairy free.  We also discovered that apples and carrots are also irritants.
 He also eats LITTLE to no meat products, and can have only ORGANIC produce
products.

As far as his behavior, our family used to refer to him as BABY TAZ .... from
the cartoon character.  He was absolutely WILD !!  He moved constsntly, was
very destructive, aggressive, and behaviorally inappropriate.  Now, with the
SLIGHTEST amount of milk and/or milk derivitives, he is WILD again.  His
behavior (now at age 3) has improved dramatically in the last 8 months ....
therefore our lifestyle has improved as well.  We still have a long way to
go, but so far the improvements justify all that we have sacrificed thus far.

By the way, we began our QUEST just after moving out of state .... so when we
went back to visit family at Christmas time, the family members were AMAZED
at the changes in our son.

There is definatelly something to be said for diet control.

Tammy
LITTLES449