NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:58:40 -0400
>Don, one of the listowners, explained to me that in the U.S. it is legal to
>call it non-dairy even though it has dairy protein in it.  I did write to
>Solait and they refunded my money and gave a wonderful apology and then
>kept the product exactly the same.

I think they may even be required to label the product non-dairy if it is
a substitute for a dairy product which does not contain primarily dairy, even
though it contains milk proteins.  Some companies are getting better about
this and indicating "sodium caseinate (a milk protein)" on the label.  I
think this is what we should be pushing for more than getting them to take
"non-dairy" off.

--Robyn