NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:56:27 -0600
>The company that makes Dari-Free also makes Sno*E Tofu, a non-dairy product
>that contains sodium caseinate. Is this the ingredient in dairy products that
>causes all the trouble? Is this product non-dairy if it contains sodium
>caseinate?  Thanks in advance for any info.
>
>-Linda Murray

Although this was already answered by Hazel Green that yes, Sodium
caseinate is a dairy protein, I feel it is an important issue.  I went
through this with a product called Better Than Milk (vanilla flavor) put
out by Solait. I read the non-dairy part of the label and although it had
sodium caseinate at the time I didn't make the connection to dairy. My son
at age 2 had an allergic reaction with hives on his entire face.

Don, one of the listowners, explained to me that in the U.S. it is legal to
call it non-dairy even though it has dairy protein in it.  I did write to
Solait and they refunded my money and gave a wonderful apology and then
kept the product exactly the same.

I feel, like Hazel said, that these companies should be contacted. I think
this is false advertising.  This is only my opinion, but they are only
thinking of the lactose intollerent in putting non-dairy on the label and
not thinking of the allergic people.  However, as my experience shows,
don't necessarily expect any changes.  As Hazel says if someone is allergic
to milk protein--READ THE LABELS CAREFULLY!

P.S. We don't get Sno*E Tofu here but I am happy to contact the company if
someone gives me their phone number or address or e-mail.

Rachele Shaw