CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laura Simson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 20:38:42 PDT

>You, Steve Tomljenovic, wrote:
>
>>Has Mr Chomsky ever been persecuted by the powers-that-be for
>>his beliefs?
>If by "persecuted" you mean calumnies and slanders by people who know the
>facts yet repeat them anyway, yes. Otherwise, no. An audience member
>goads him with pretty much the same question in a scene in Manufacturing
>Consent. I recommend checking it out for his response.
>
>Best,
>
>Tresy

 Surprisingly, I can only think of 3 examples of "persecution" or censorious
action:

1) His brief period in jail with Norman Mailer after a Pentagon Protest in 1967
(if memory serves as to the correct date)

2) He was put on Nixon's "Enemy list" of intellectuals dangerous to the US

3) Warner Modular cancelled a press run of his book
_Counter-Revolutionary_Violence_ when the owner of Warner discovered its
content. I believe this was in 1979.

        There may be other incidents, but this is all I can think of now. No. 2 isn't
really censorious, but it shows that the government was watching him and
concerned with his opinions. I got these from Barsky's
_Chomsky:_A_Life_of_Dissent_.
        Anyone else?

                                --brian o.