RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:19:56 -0400
From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
"Thomas E. Billings" wrote:

Ellie Rotunno:
>>A product called Mighty Greens by Pines contains wheat grass, barley
>>grass, oat grass and rye grass. Could you tell me if these contain
>>gluten?

Tom:
>I suspect it may have a trace of gluten in it, but am not sure. The best
>idea here is to contact Pines and ask if they have any lab test results
>on gluten content.

It is really hard to do accurate lab tests. There is some test out of
Australia, but it gets thrown off by acid. Very sensitive celiacs are more
accurate.

>Also, I invite our resident gluten experts to answer this inquiry.

I think I answered this yesterday. Gluten is only in the endosperm of the
seed. If this is really made from the grass, with no seeds included, then
they would be gluten-free. Calling manufacturers is often done by celiacs.
I'd ask them if it is only grass, prior to the seed forming, or the whole
thing with the seeds. I'd suspect the former.

Don.