From:
Timothy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 23:36:54 +0100

> When I enquired about membership they quickly sent me an applications
> package which basically states that they only accept members who have been
> medically diagnosed as having the Coeliac Condition or Dermatitis
> Herpetiformis.

I've been away for a few days...

I'm a member of the UK society and the officials visit the regional groups
from time to time and I've had a chance to have a chat.

The following is my understanding of the situation (but isn't any sort
of official statement):

The Society has made a deliberate choice to be a Coeliac / DH society and not
a gluten-free society.  If another disease was found where gluten caused
physical damage then the society might possibly embrace it.  Gluten free
diets may be recommended by doctors for a variety of reasons, but the society
only supports Coeliacs.  (There are also fads from time to time where various
diets are touted as the cure for something or other - I'm not trying to imply
that any other use of a gluten free diet is a fad.)

The Society wants a medical diagnosis of the condition because of the dangers
of self diagnosis.  Coeliac symptoms are often not clear cut and someone
might mistakenly diagnose themselves as having CD when in fact they have
another condition which they then delay in having properly treated.  Also the
diet is for life and is not something to be undertaken without making sure
you really need it.

The food list is made available to members and medical professionals like
hospital dietitians.

I've noticed that the society keeps a fairly low profile when it comes to fund
raising. The food list is sold for a profit (but if you are genuinely short of
money they won't ask for payment.) Most of the rest of the money comes from
members' donations and fund raising activities. Every few years a national
raffle is held and members sell tickets for the chance to win prizes like a TV.
The society doesn't charge any membership fee. (Local groups may make a small
charge to cover their costs.)

The society sends out a magazine twice a year (free of charge). It contacts all
the food manufacturers to compile the food list. Members can write in for an
answer to any queries. The society also funds research projects into Coeliac
disease (typically one or two year projects) - it insists that the project will
be investigating something worthwhile, so it sometimes can't find a suitable one
to fund. There is an annual meeting where there is a talk on some aspect of
the condition (often given by a researcher on one of the funded projects) as
well as the usual AGM business.

   Tim

--
Tim Partridge. Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer