From:
Patrick Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:47:14 -0500

Dennis,

Despite what many people believe (including doctors), at the moment a small
bowel biopsy is the only difinitive test for Celiac.  If you haven't had one
then you cannot be sure you actually have it.  From the runs to a rash, the
symptoms of celiac disease vary.  Oddly enough my wife and I both have celiac
(we met before we were diagnosed).  Adrienne sufferred from anemia and
constepation.  I sufferred from weight loss and diarrhea.  When the doctors
tried to diagnose me they put me through every test known to man, including
the fatty stool test.  When the doctor received the results from the test he
said that the stool contained only slight traces of fat.  He also practically
guaranteed me that i did not have celiac.  One small bowel biopsy later and
he told me he was wrong.  So much for the fatty stool test.

When I started on a GF diet i began to feel better immediately.  I even
gained seven pounds in the first week.  If avoiding gluten makes you feel
better and the doctors aren't going to help you out, then eat what doesn't
make you sick.

Pat in Toronto