NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:57:22 -0400
DAVID POHLE wrote:

>The "tests" done by my gastroenterologist were
>standard blood screenings.

Which would not have included a test for gluten problems.

>It sounds like gluten is omnipresent (what doesn't say
>"natural flavorings" on the label?!).

It is omnipresent. It is one of the best emulsifiers and stabilizers
available to the food industry. And it is "natural".

> What's the story with rice?

It is safe.

>Is there any special type of doctor (allergist?) to whom
>you must go for a serum screening test for GI?

Any doctor can order the tests, but most don't know about them. I suggest
you start by downloading the testing FAQ. Send GET CELIAC DIAG-TST in the
body of a message to [log in to unmask]

>If positive, it might give me a better
>idea of the underlying cause of my problem.  Though,
>as for avoiding all gluten for one to two years in order
>restore lactose tolerance, I really don't know if I could
>pull that one off.

But there are other health reasons that are far more important than LI, if
one is gluten intolerant.

>"try..avoiding...packaged foods, processed
>meats...canned tuna"....AS IN, "EVERYTHING I EAT"!

Tuna can be found in either only olive oil or only water. Starkist calls
theirs "Naturally Low Sodium". The health food stores have others.

>I thought MSG was always on labels as such.

Nope.

>  Knowing
>that it too is hidden under such generic names as
>"flavorings" is good to know, but not good news.  I
>guess this makes it hard to single-out as a cause of
>problems.

Yep.

>  (But it's also famous for bagels, which give me
>no problems if eaten plain.  Can someone give me the
>scoop on that?  No whey but lots of gluten, right?  I'm
>eating one right now!)

Yes. Lots of gluten.

Don.