RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roy P D'Souza" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 97 08:49:00 PST
>Yes, it's a dilemma, isn't it?  Rather than more food, have you tried
>more reps/sets?  (Actually, I guess low reps/high weights are supposed to
>be best for building muscle.  But maybe you could do 2 workouts/day
>instead of 1.)  You'd be amazed if you read Arnold Schwartznegger's story
>about how many hours/day he used to work out.  And if you don't have the
>time, maybe isometrics periodically at work when you have some spare
>moments.

On the other hand, it might be possible that one might be overdoing it,
therefore adding more reps/sets might cause one to regress. The rest/
recuperation aspect is as important as the exercise. Even bodybuilders who
work out practically every day of the week, only exercise a specific
body part two times a week. (Three is very rare). They use multiple
split strategies. i.e. if you want to work out twice a day for six
days a week, you divide your body up into 6 areas (ex:back, chest,
shoulders, legs, biceps, triceps/forearms), then attack each area
twice a week, with sufficient rest in between. Furthermore, one of
the two sessions for a particular body part is deemed "heavy" and
the other "light". (i.e. you don't go all out for both sessions.)
This is one of the more popular training schemes.
Though it might appear that a competitive bodybuilder is constantly
pumping iron, his/her muscles are actually getting a lot of rest between
sessions due to the multi-split systems. Furthermore, the whole year
is divided into discrete segments, and some segments incorporate
more rest (and less rigid diets).

Furthermore, Sol said that he is concerned about improving his
strength levels. Observe that powerlifters are even more conservative
about how much they stress their muscles: if they go "all out" at every
session, they would probably spend an excessive amount of time recuperating
from injuries. Fred Hatfield, one of the best known powerlifters and
authors, recommends only *one* "all out" session (where you lift as
much as you can for one rep) a week. The rest are higher rep sessions
which stress the body less.

Experts generally advise:
    (1) Don't worry about mass - focus on strength and the mass
    will automatically come.
    (2) When attempting to improve strength, be scientific, pace
    yourself carefully, and make sure you get lots of rest and
    proper nutrition in between.

Finally, *when* you eat may be as important as how much, or what
you eat. Bodybuilders tend to try to maximize a positive nitrogen
balance just after a workout. Therefore, fewer calories may go
a longer way if taken at these times.

Cheers,

Roy