RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 06:45:49 -0700
>(Have no idea what does `cunundrum` mean, but who cares :-))

I think the spelling is conundrum, which means a puzzling problem. (I only
know the word because it is the title of a fine polital insider spoof book
called "Dunn's Conundrum".)

>I think you better know wild plants well before you start eating
>them  - even experimentally. E.g. leaves may be poisonous but
>root of the same plant nutritious and delicious; many herbs have
>strong medicinal effects and naturally, it`s not wise to eat them
>big amounts.

>Unfortunately we've lost our instincts so we can`t identify edible
>plants (or edible parts of plants) instinctively in the nature anymore.

I spit out 90% of what I test, and one soon gives up when there is a
persimmon ripening on the counter, you know? :) Guy-Claude Burger, the
father of instincto, was challenged by a skeptic to "instinctively" sample
a series of wild mushrooms, and he ended eating enough of a poisonous
variety to feel ill (though he certainly didn't die). He claims that for
things like mushrooms, unless they taste great, one should not swallow
them, very much supporting your ideas here that instinct is not an
infallable guide--which, by the way, I agree with 1000%.

>Of course, taste tells something, but not enough; and who knows if
>our sense of taste is distorted? BTW, some _raw_ wild plants taste
>bitter, but cooked - unfortunately ;-) - palatable.

Is it unfortunate, or is it the glory of what cooking has unlocked as a
nuitritional advantage for our species? (he asks with a wink and a nudge)

>Another thing:
>I`ve detected that root crops, especially carrot as well as wild
>berries, such as raspberry, taste the sweeter the norther they
>are grown. I`ve thought the reason for that is the day length
>or temperature. My theory is that ripening takes place more
>slowly here in the north and - somehow - as a result there
>is tastier crop. Does this make any sense? Any ideas?

ascinating observation! The same seems to be true for seafoods: the
shellfish of colder climes is sweeter and richer, and many of the fish
varieties are tastier (possibly due to the higher fat content of Arctic
animal life in general).

Regarding berries. Might it be a matter of shipping distance? I assume the
local berries you eat are more properly ripened than southern berries
shipped north. Or are you comparing wild berries gathered in the south and
your local berries?

When we have returned from a time in the tropics to, say, northern USA, we
find the most attractive fruit to be berries. The tropics have nothing
similar to the temperate climate berries that we have ever found (but, of
course, not many papayas grow above the Arctic circle either :))

Tiina you are an inspiration to us all: a rawist from Finland! (and a vegan
one to boot!) I'm sure you have much to teach us all about getting along on
a less than spectacular seasonal fare. Good to hear from you again.

Cheers,
Kirt