NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gill Stannard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:53:04 +1000
and even more thoughts on the subject :)

>a couple
>months after I ceased taking a strong anti-biotic for
>tonsilitis (which gave me no digestive problems), and
>during a time that I was generally feeling great.

Regardless of no direct gut problems on antibiotics they will still change
the gut flora..your body was trying to create some kind of status quo..and
then something pushed it over the edge.  Just guessing..but many of us 'work
our guts out' :) to get the time to take a holiday

>With regard to gluten intolerance:
>
>D Also, I was eating lots and lots (and
>drinking lots of protein shakes made from concentrated
>milk protein mixed with fat-free milk!!!)

eek that fat free milk has heaps more milk sugar than the regular kind...but
you already know that now :)

>My "smart" gastroenterologist told me that I could not
>have gluten intolerance because I was gaining weight
>and tests showed that my nutrient intake was fine.  He
>said that gluten intolerance causes the microvilli of the
>small intestine to flatten out and decrease in surface
>area, thus reducing absorptive capacity of nutrients
>(i.e., makes you lose weight).

I personally believe a body can get an overuse syndrome especially of
refined wheat with out developing frank caelics disease.

>Regarding Asian food:
>.  MSG problems?

certainly..msg can do all kinds of nasty things..but i have definitely
noticed it has bought on diarrhoea in clients with irritable bowel syndrome.
There are lots of other asian foods that dont necessarily use gluten, msg or
dairy - thai, malaysian, indonesion..all have yummy options.

>Being lactose intolerant in NYC:
>

> But I always seem to go out with
>friends downtown to one of the millions of Italian
>gourmet restaurants which use cream in many sauces,

i bet they do a great risotto (hold the parmesan)

>cappuccino at a little table on the street at Cafe
>Rafaella (if not from NYC, imagine classic urban leisure
>scene and you get the idea!).  Iced coffee served black
>just doesn't do.

i have no idea what nondairy creamers of concocted off - sounds foul to me
:)  Here in Melbourne there are lots of groovey cafes that serve soy
cappacinos...dont tell me cosmopolitan NYC is a soycap free zone!?

Food allergies/intolerances are as difficult or as easy as you want to make it

regards
Gill
Gill Stannard * Herbalist/naturopath
Melbourne, Australia
email: [log in to unmask]

"We come from the earth,we return to the earth
 and in between we garden"  Amie Hill