RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 97 08:08:00 PST
From:
"Roy P D'Souza" <[log in to unmask]>
>Buddhist societies have never had a developed science; maybe its
>principles are incompatible with a Cartesian reasoning. However,
>Chinese acupuncture and phytotherapy are extremely complex and
>efficient, even though the underlying "theory" (Chi circulation, Five
>Elements,...) seem rather mystic to a Westerner.

Hi JL,

I would argue that Buddhism is more developed than most other philosophies.
There are no mystical or esoteric theories in Buddhism. Things like "Chi"
and "Five Elements" are not a part of Buddhism. They seep into hybrids
like Tibetian (which incorporate Tantric Yoga) and certain sects of
Chinese Buddhism (which fuse with Taoism.)

In Buddhism there are no dogmas or rules. Only the "four noble truths"
(suffering, the cause, the ability to stop it, and the method.) Buddhism
encourages "chinta maya pannya" (knowledge through thinking) as vastly
superior to "sutta maya pannya" (knowledge through studying / listening),
and in turn "bhavana maya pannya" (knowledge through personal investigation
and experience) as the most supreme.

The historical Buddha himself, who epitomized this pure Buddhism, performed
some remarkable feats of reasoning and scientific investigation. For example,
he proclaimed in 500 BC that all matter was composed of minisucal,
indivisible particles that he called "kalapas". One might argue that
he was also the father of modern psychotherapy.

Cartesian reasoning has absolutely no conflict with Buddhism. The latter
would encourage the "bhavana maya pannya" aspect as superior to the
"chinta maya pannya". Buddhism rejects all mystical and esoteric stuff
as irrelevant since it fails the test of reasoning ("chinta") and
experience ("bhavana"). It even rejects any discussion on a God, or a
superior being, since there is no basis for conclusion either way. It rejects
all the magic of the Vedas, the esoteric practices of the Upanishads,
and the caste system of the Hindus.

Buddhism is only "Eastern" in the sense that the Buddha was born and lived
in India which is in the East. It has very little in common with the other
Eastern schools, and is very compatible with "Western" pragmaticism. It
generated highly developed sciences in famous Indian universities in
Nalanda and Magadha, before Buddhism died out in India.

Regards,

Roy