From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:01:31 -0800

    I am looking for a conversion table for the
various thickeners that are used in gluten-free
baking.  For instance, if a recipe calls for two
teaspoons of xanthan gum to hold it together,
how much guar gum would you use if that's what
you wanted to use instead?  How about how much
methylcellulose?

    I've wanted to know this for a while, but it's
annoying to have to figure it out the hard way -
and it wastes a lot of food.  Does anyone have
such a conversion table?  I've found good information
about these various other thickeners in Bette
Hagman's cookbooks, just no conversion tables.

    Also, I've been using a GF thickener called
Tartex Biobin which I bought in Germany recently.
It contains "johannisbrotkernmehl" and "calcium-
lactat".  Does anyone know what the first ingredient
is in English?  It seems to do a nice job when
substituted for xanthan gum on a 1:1 exchange basis,
and would probably do fine with a little less than
than the amount of xanthan gum called for.  Unlike
xanthan gum, this stuff doesn't seem to bother
my stomach.  I assume one can buy this thickener
in the USA too, but I just don't know what it's
called.

    I look forward to any leads anyone might have.

                  Thank you,

                  Kirsten Klinghammer