Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 23:57:35 -0400

Hi All- we had a great nutritionist speak to our group last night and most of
us were surprised at the following list of top 26 anti oxidant food s for
fighting cancers and free radicals- they were based on a study done by the
USDA (legumes were not included in the study)
Here they are in order :
1. Blueberries
2. Kale
3. Strawberries
4. Spinach
5. Brussel Sprouts
6. Plums
7. Broccoli
8. Beets
9. Oranges
10. Red Grapes
11. Red Peppers
12. Pink Grapefruit
13. Mangos and White Grapes
14. Onions
15. Corn
16. Eggplant
17. Squash and Cauliflower
18. Potatoes
19. Cabbage
20. Leaf Lettuce
21 Bananas
22. Apples
23. String Beans
24. Carrots
25. Tomatoes
26. Pears

Figures, the one veggie and two fruits I eat a ton of are sitting at #9, 21,
23

also she mentioned that when you steam or cook the veggies they lose alot of
their healthy properties in the water you cook them in. She recommended
drinking the water after steaming the vegetables or saving it and using it to
cook your rice in as it contains all the healthy properties that were steamed
out of the vegetables. This got alot of "ugggghhhh" replies, but it is
something to at least consider or try eating them raw if you can tolerate
them (which I cannot)
Best Regards,
Leslie-NYC