RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 08:32:33 -0700
Re: Are enzymes absorbed?

Peter, [log in to unmask]:
>The following review from the July issue of the "Townsend Letter for
>Doctors & Patients" indicates that some enzymes do survive the stomach
>acid:

Tom:
Thanks for the reference - I will check it out when I have time!

Re:: Raw-food server change

Peter, [log in to unmask]:
>Dave and I have decided to move the raw-food list to the St.John's
>Listserv. The change will take place some time within the next day or
>...material snipped...
>After the move the archives from before the transfer date will remain
>available on the bolis.com archive sites until Dave and I have them
>edited and ready for the new server. It will probably take a week or

Tom:
As the list, and the archive address, have been publicized in print, I
hope that:
1) people who try to access the archives at the old address find a
pointer to the new address, and
2) people who try to (re-)subscribe to the old address, get a message saying
the list has moved to a new server.

Re: Discussion on vegan ethics - raw and cooked

At the Ayurveda seminar last weekend, Robert Svoboda quoted his mentor, the
Tantric adept Vimalananda, as saying:

"It's always good to live with reality, [for] otherwise reality will come and
live with you."

I think that what is happening in the raw foods movement, and what is now
just starting to happen in the ethical vegan movement, is that reality is now
coming to live with us rawists and the ethical vegans.  In the raw movement, we
now know that apes are not fruitarians or vegans, that fruitarianism/veganism
is not our natural diet, and there is now open discussion that 100% raw diets
can be problematical. The preceding points also impact the ethical vegan
movement, and people are finally starting to question the sort of ethics
promoted in veganism. We have a choice - we can be open and examine the
assumptions that underlie our diet, or we can be closed and cling to dogma.
One way leads to freedom, the other to bondage. Your diet can serve you, or
you can serve the diet. You can eat a vegan diet, or the diet can eat you!

Regards,
Tom Billings