RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:04:13 -0800
Mary,
> Would eating raw help hypothyroidism?
> Any info on thyroid would be helpful.

This is all anecdotal and not scientific, so I'm not certain it's the
answer you're looking for, but I thought you might find this
interesting.

A few of my patients recently have had thyroid problems, one hyper, a
few hypo.  Both have responded well to natural foods diets, which means
of course significantly increasing eating raw stuff.  The patients I've
treated go mostly raw, including sea vegetables, fresh ocean fish (raw),
fresh fruit, fresh veggies, only a few cooked items (including dry beans
and brown rice, and fish for those disliking sashimi), raw nuts/seeds,
local raw honey, etc, and generally avoiding grains.  I also recommend
sea salt (instead of conventional table salt from grocer which has
dextrose and aluminum) for them too.  Iodine intake must be adequate and
can be found in ocean fish, kelp and other foods from the sea.  I don't
know 100% for certain that the hyperthyroidism cases is improving due to
the foods, but it sure seems that way to me - I'm becoming convinced
that somehow not eating adequate raw foods can do all types of weird
unhealthy things to people.

I nearly always use diets to get to the root of a chronic health problem
along with the treatment I give which is usually acupuncture and chinese
herbs. One patient is now off all her meds, no longer needs acupuncture,
comes in only for herbs and stays on her special diet; she says she
needs herbs only when she goes off her natural foods diet and it causes
a flare of the hyperthyroidism.

regards