RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:44:34 +0000
With his allowance, I post a little dialogue here, Kirt Nieft and I had
about aged fish.

Kirt:
>I have known people who prefer eating "high" fish when it is still
>"wet".

Stefan:
>Do you mean "high" =3D very aged, "wet" =3D not dried, so really aged and
>nothing else?

Kirt:
>Yeah.

Stefan:
>If so, hm, 3 or 4 days at   r o o m    temperature will really give
>a heavily aged fish. My oldest one was one week at fridge temperature
>and that gave an awful detox. Phoooo! Difficult to handle. I assume
>that one week in fridge is app. one or two days at room temperature.

Kirt:
>That sounds about right to me. The fellow I was speaking of had a
>second (non-functioning I think) refridgerator that he used for aging
>fish--anywhere from a couple days to a week, or until it was all eaten
>;) He gave me the impression that his friends did the same...

>We never refridgerate fish--just lay it out in front of a fan. The
>inside gets more and more aged until it dries out completely, dripping
>oil if it was high fat. Depending on the thickness it might last for
>two weeks or more, but I prefer it a 2-4 days the best too.

Some remarks:
Currently I'm very hot for the fat in fish. So in order to prevent the
oil from dripping out, getting lost, I put my fish into the dryer. It
looses water much faster than in front of a fan at room temperature.
There is some oil dripping out, but most of it is preserved.
Drying temperature: 30..35 C (86..95F), time: 8..36 hours.

Just two weeks ago at an instinctive eating I met a guy who liked
mussels, aged for two weeks in the fridge. Although my nose complains
really rarely, this time it did. His mussels stank awful. For him
they gave a good smell of course.

Kind instinctive regards,

Stefan