RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Walter Semerenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 16:06:40 +0000
I am wondering what you think of Dr. Weil's response.  I have been eating
the foods raw which he mentions are toxic, and now I don't know what to do.
I'm not too fond of Weil because he is very general sometimes, and he seems
to be on middle ground.  Let me know what you think of it.  I got this from
his web sites.

***
There's a whole movement these days to eat only raw food. What do you
                       think about this? Is it healthy?

                       -- Anonymous

I know some people believe it's harmful to cook food. They say cooking
destroys essential nutrients and the vital essence of foods... here are
people who will soak rice for weeks rather than cook it; or bake their wheat
in the sun for hours instead of using an oven. It's important to eat lots of
fruits and vegetables, but I don't think it is healthy to eat all raw foods.
It's not healthy to eat all anything. The best diet is a varied diet, and
this goes for methods of preparation as well.

 Cooking renders some foods more digestible; it also breaks down natural
toxins that are in some vegetables and seeds. If you're not feeling well,
raw vegetables can make things worse. They are especially hard on an
irritated colon. There are also a surprising number of toxins in foods found
in most people's diets. Peanuts and peanut butter often have traces of
aflatoxin, a potent carcinogen found in a mold that grows on the nuts.
Alfalfa sprouts contain a toxin called canavanine. Celery harbors toxins
that may sensitize us to sunlight and damage our immune systems. (Highest
levels occur in celery that has brownish patches, which indicate a fungal
disease called pink rot.) Raw spinach, chard and beet greens contain oxalic
acid, which robs your body of calcium and iron. Cultivated white mushrooms
contain several carcinogens. Members of the cabbage family also contain
toxins. In general, these natural toxins are destroyed by cooking,
especially cooking in water. To me this seems to a be a strong argument
against a diet of all raw foods. But never overcook foods. That will lower
nutrient content and cause other undesirable changes. For instance, charring
foods creates carcinogens.

 There are some vegetables I would never eat raw: peas, beans, alfalfa
sprouts, lentil sprouts, mung bean sprouts and mushrooms. Beans, lentils,
chickpeas, and eggplant are best when cooked a long time. Many leafy green
vegetables such as chard, spinach, collards and mustard greens are much
better for you when cooked.

 On the other hand, there are some foods not normally eaten raw in the
Western diet that I do suggest eating raw for medicinal reasons. Raw garlic
and raw onions, eaten regularly, can protect against heart attacks by
increasing the body's ability to dissolve blood clots. Raw garlic also is a
potent antibiotic. And some vegetables are just fine raw: lettuce, arugula,
radicchio, watercress, cucumbers, radishes and buckwheat sprouts.

Walter.