RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 01:59:14 -0500 (CDT)
Raymond Francis:
>You can lose up to 93% of the food's nutrition in cooking.

I wonder how he came up with this high percentage as mostly enzymes and
vitamins are lost in cooking.

>Also, if you heat food over 375 deg. F, HAAs are created, where HAA
>hetero-cyclic aeromatic amines. These are ultra-carcinogenic.

Again, I am sure it makes a big difference whether we are talking about
heating grains or heating vegetable oils at this temperature.

>Puffed grains are toxic; they are produced under high temperature
>and pressure, which alters their protein molecules. If you feed puffed
>grains to animals, it will kill them.

I agree that puffed grains are terribly unhealthy, yet I ate them for
years as a child without any obvious ill effects. Why would animals die
eating them and not humans?

>Don't eat microwaved foods, as they affect your immune system, and
>reduce white blood cells.

I wonder if this is more speculation than a proven fact.

>Bis-phenyl-A. This chemical is distributed worldwide, and used in a
>lot of plastic, including plastic water bottles, food can liners, and
>also in dental fillings. This chemical produces a powerful estrogenic
>effect. Don't drink out of plastic bottles!

There goes the 50 plastic bottles that Bruno told me to buy for storing
water. :-)

>Raymond recommends that you take 9-12 grams of vitamin C every day. He
>took 3 grams per day when terminally ill, and it saved his life.

This is radical. I wonder if the body can assimilate that much.

>Ozone in the air. In Los Angeles, 100% have lung damage from ozone.
>Take high levels of vitamins C,E, and antioxidants to help protect
>against ozone.

LA has high ozone levels but I think that the smog - not the ozone - is
what we need to be concerned about. BTW - the air in Los Angeles is now
the cleanest it has been in fifty years.

>Raymond recently announced a leading cause of cancer: local anesthetic
>drugs. These are a major factor, if not the #1 cause of, cancer. The
>drugs in question are lidocaine, procaine (brand name: Novocaine). The
>breakdown products of these drugs are 100% carcinogenic in test
>animals and in humans.

Novocaine is not used that much anymore and being carcinogenic and
being the cause of cancer is not quite the same. Cancer is usually
caused by multiple factors.

> The breast cancer rate is also correlated with the use of local
>anesthetics.

As are pesticides, wearing tight bras, lack of exercise and low
consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables. I doubt that anesthetics
are a major concern as they are used fairly infrequently. How often do
we go to the dentist anyway?

>Acupuncture, hypnosis.

According to my dentist these techniques do not work on a vast number
of people.

>Q: What about Maillard molecules?
>A: Never heard of them.

Surprising answer considering how much he seems to know about the down
sides of cooking.

>NSAIDS. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: aspirin, many other
>drugs. These are highly toxic, kill ~20K people/year.

Aspirin killing twenty thousand people a year?  How - through internal
bleeding? I wonder where he gets this figure from.

> Vitamin C in water is a safe sunscreen.

Ascorbic acid in water and then on my skin - I can hardly wait.:-)

> Let plastic shoes "bake" in the sun to outgas.

I assume he is talking about sneakers.

> Most outgassing will be over within 1 year.

I can wear my new sneakers already after a year? ;-)

>Tachyon beads - sounds nice but is probably nonsense.

Not according to raw food MD Gabriel Cousins who recently sponsored a
two day seminar on tachyon at his retreat center in Arizona.

>The #1 complaint to doctors - fatigue. Caused by toxic overload on the
>liver.

Again, I think their can be many causes. A diet high in refined
carbohydrates & sugars is an obvious one that comes to mind.

Tom:
>1. An excellent talk, very informative!

Thanks, Tom! I agree. Especially the part on cooking.

> This is the logical, constructive, positive (and honest) way to
>discuss cooked vs. raw foods - with real scientific data,

He knows the names of many toxic substances but I do not see much
evidence that he has the scientific data to back up many of his claims.

>rather than the misleading, incorrect, zealous slogans used by some
>raw-fooders.

He is a lot more polished but if you try questioning his vegan beliefs
he will show a more zealous side to his personality. I know, I tried
once. :-(

Best, Peter