RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 09:27:10 -0800
My interest was piqued during the discussion on instinctive eating a few
weeks ago, so I visited Pierre Gaumond's web site (sorry, can't
remember the address) and read some of the articles on the subject.  I
was disappointed and gave up the idea when the subject turned to meat,
because it means more to me to be a vegetarian than to eat instinctively.
Still, I can't help but be curious about this.  What kind of animals are they
eating?  Do they catch them with their bare hands and rip the fur,
feathers, scales off with their teeth or fingernails,  otherwise how can
meat be considered an unprocessed ("primary") food?  Maybe they buy
the meat but only animals that *could have been* caught this way?
Examples?  It seems to me, in my limited knowledge of the subject, that
the only animals that would fit their definition would be nestling baby
birds, grubs, snails, some bugs.  In other words, slow or otherwise
defenseless things.
Or, perhaps, making tools such as spears and knives fits into their
definition of "instinctive."  If so, how is grinding corn, cooking in clay pots
or juicing oranges any different?
Also, does their sense of smell, considered so important, attract them to
live animals and entice them to kill?
Please don't consider this a flame in any way against instinctive eaters.
I'm just wondering because in the beginning "instinctive eating" sounded
truly wonderful to me, and the above things don't seem to make sense to
me.

From: "Thomas E. Billings" <[log in to unmask]>
... He even wrote a book on instinctive eating, "Eating Instinctively on
Earth, an Autobiography and Guidebook", by Zephyr, ...
The book, and its philosophy, is interesting and surprising. Some quotes:

pg. 35: "How do I eat meats? I eat them passionately. Eating meats is
primal ecstasy for me."

pg. 31: "Do I have to eat raw meats? No...However I know only one
person who's been able to be consistently instincto without eating meat."