RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roy P D'Souza" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 97 14:54:00 PST
Peter:
>Roy, so you bought "We Want To Live" Let us know how you like it?

Hi Peter,

I have mixed feelings about the book. On the positive side, I like the
format: an upfront narrative, with the "meat" relegated to appendices
towards the end of the book, with an intermediate section that summarizes
raw food sources and health problems/solutions. I also think that this
proposed diet would be an easier entry into Raw for newcomers, such
as my wife. (I think that of all the raw books, this is the most likely
candidate for my 'non-raw' friends/family to last more than a couple of pages
into.) I also found some "zone-like" underpinnings in his book, since he
is very sensitive to maintaining the insulin/sugar balance. His method
though is to add fat to the sugar, without any corresponding protein.

On the negative side, I'm disappointed that he is not totally raw. The
author seems too eager to whip out a slice of french bread. I'm rather
skeptical of his claim about the value of cooked starches. (If it is
a matter of assimilation efficiency, I'm willing to eat "X'n'" times
the requisite quantity in equivalent raw.) I'm wary of his method of
disguising the meat with "dressings" like honey and egg yoke. It would
appear to me that in the cases of RAF one might want to give one's
instinct an opportunity to reject the RAF.

I was also rather skeptical of some of the anecdotes in the book,
particularly the one describing the hatha yogis and the aprodisiac
properties of the particular fruit combinations. Other anecdotes
about his vision quests, his memories of early life, etc, seem
rather far fetched IMO.

Overall, I'm happy I invested the time and money into this book.
I plan to send in my check to get his resources guide. I would call
this a "must read" for the raw fooder. If Aajonus writes another
book, I will certainly buy and read it.

Regards,

Roy