RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 08:03:28 -0800
Tom said:
>>The following is a combination of two separate posts on the veg-raw
>>e-mail list, made back in September 1995. These posts address problems
>>in storing seeds for sprouting.

Peter:
>Thanks for another very informative post! I noticed you did not mention
>storing seeds in a freezer. I do not think this harms them as they have
>a very low water content and sprout easily afterwards.
>I bought the sprouting oats from Jaffe Brothers as you recommended but
>find them uneatable with the husk and will go back to soaking oat
>groats over night and carefully spouting them for a day.

Tom:
Seeds can be stored in a freezer, if you wish - nuts will generally last much
longer in a freezer. Also, most seed/gene banks for plants, store their
materials in cryogenic storage - liquid nitrogen. Freezing seeds is also
a way to kill an infestation of weevils (or other nasty bugs).

I also find the sprouting oats inedible by themselves, due to their thick hull.
What I use them for is to make milk-analogs (if one has a low opinion of
milk, you can think of it instead as a nice tonic for the nervous and
reproductive systems). For use in other recipes, it is best to simply soak
hulled oats overnight. Some macrobiotic recipes can be adapted to raw by
replacing the rice with soaked oats, and keeping the other ingredients raw.
I have tasted a few such recipes at our local potlucks - very tasty, but
a bit too salty for me to eat very often.

Tom Billings