RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 09:19:43 -0700
>Last Sunday Dave Karas, our veg-raw listowner, and I attended a lecture
>by David Wolfe & Stephen Arlin co-authors of =ECNatures First Law=EE (NFL).
>The lecture, organized by the Los Angeles Natural Hygiene Society, was
>well attended - about 70 people showed up on this windy afternoon to
>hear what the authors of this controversial new book had to say.
>What follows are some of my impressions:

_snip-

>In
>some cases small amounts of raw fish or maybe other raw animal foods
>are OK.

These guys have matured a lot in a few months. As I remember it was a 100%
fruitarian diet, then vegetables became important, and now RAF in small
amounts maybe OK. I commend their willingness to incorporate new
information into their "message". Such open-mindedness will serve them well
in the future. Perhaps they will move beyond the limitations of their
mentor, TC Fry.

>I was pleasantly surprised to find the authors much friendlier than in
>their book and veg-raw postings.

That was my impression as well when meeting them face to face. Imagine if
their pleasant and enthusiastic persona had made it into their book as the
dominant style instead of the broadside dogma and attack-dog tactics! The
stripmalls may never have known what hit them ;)

What happens when people start tapping on a keyboard anyway? There are
apparently very shy people who become vociforous via a keyboard, adults who
become adolescents and vice versa, and with NFL we see pleasant
enthusiastic folk become intolerant and dogmatic. Mystery, eh?

>They showed a lot of positive energy &
>enthusiasm and plan to launch an ambitious multi-media campaign to
>spread the word about raw foods. I still do not recommend their book or
>diet but after having met two of the authors, I think that the
>dedication they show their cause might give raw (vegan) foods bit of a
>revival - especially among young folks. Even if this will not always be
>for the best, I think as the increasing turn-over rate of information
>continues to break down more & more boundaries in the fields of health
>& nutrition, it will make it ever more difficult for idealistic diets
>with little factual reality to take root in our souls.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks for posting Peter...

Cheers,
Kirt