RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 05:24:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
>I vote against moving to the St. Johns server. Having read the paleo
>lists there I found that this kind of storing messages makes it very
>difficult to skim through the archived messages quickly. Each message
>is stored as a separate link.

Through an email request it is possible to go through the archives
with St.John's like with majordomo.

>If you click it, you have to wait until the net responds, often very
>long.

Unfortunately, sometimes there can be a little waiting.

>In contrast our archives simply are collecting the messages in chrono-
>logical (book-like) order and after downloading one big file you can
>very quickly read or skim through them.

This can also be done with St.Johns.

>Also by simply copying all archives log.* together to one big file,
>it is possible to put together the messages of a whole year. I did it
>with the veg-raw 1996 messages (5MB) and with raw-food 1-5/97 (7MB).

See above.

>Such a year-archive can be read e.g. into netscape and then any
>search can be done.

Thanks for the tip which is also an option with listserv though in
either case not without some initial work. However, with its archive
search capability readily available for everybody listserv seems an
easy choice to me. Listserv also has many other features that makes it
easier to run.

Your feedback was much appreciated.

Best, Peter