RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:12:14 -0700 (MST)
From:
Sheila Shea <[log in to unmask]>
>"Fruits of Warm Climates", by Julia F. Morton
>An alternative title for this book would be something like 'Encyclopedia of
>Fruits of Tropical, Semi-Tropical, and Sub-Tropical Climates'. This is the
>ultimate fruit book, providing extensive information on common and uncommon
>fruits of warm climates. This book was a labor of love by its author, the
>world-renowned Botanist, Julia F. Morton, who was with the University of
>Miami,in Florida. Unfortunately, Dr. Morton passed away in September 1996 from the
>after-effects of an auto accident.

PS It's Sheila again.
I lived in Miami for many years and once attended a lecture by DR Morton.
She's a hoot, wired, energetic, and so knowledgeable. She is known as a
forensic herbalist, she testifies in court cases on the properties of
poisonous herbs!!!
I have one of her books on the local plants of south Fla.
I heard earlier she had died through the American Herbalist Guild but I
didn't know how.
Ohhh, and I grew the 'strawberry' tree (muntingia) in front of my ocean
view apt on south beach in Miami Beach. I live on the second story and
within a few months it had reached my window and beyond and yes, the flavor
is awesome. Also, the saguaro fruit, (cactus, the flower of which is the
Arizona state flower), has a similar fruit, that combo of the best of
raspberries, cherries, strawberries, and jackfrost powdered sugar! I hiked
in Sabino Cyn this am and the fruit are just starting to get ripe.
All the best,

Kind Regards,
http://www.sheilas.com