RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 04 Jan 1997 11:58:42 EST
From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
From: "Brian C. Rowley" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: comment on wellness letter
***Guest speaker is Jay Olshansky***

From: [log in to unmask]

Just a quick note:
   I have had the opportunity to read through a few of the wellness
letters put out by Frank Lewis and others.  There is some interesting information
there and the authors have done a decent job of summarizing some of the
theories of aging.  However, they are also doing a wonderful job of
perpetuating the myths of aging and pushing the views of the longevity
gurus. This is anything but an unbiased presentation of what is known about
aging and longevity.   As an example, the authors believe that the "survival of the species"
is the prime reason for reproduction and ultimately aging and death.  This
is a very old view that began with August Weissman (and yes, Alfred Wallace
himself in a letter to Weissman) and was proven incorrect by evolution
biologists in the middle of this century.  These group selection
arguments still prevail in the popular literature, and it has creeped into this
newsletter.  I'll save my comments on the effects of hormone supplements
for another time.  Suffice it to say that the authors are presenting only
half ofthe story.

S. Jay Olshansky