From:
Joe Huston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 10:31:26 -0800

Subject:  Hypoxia anyone?

When I was instructed six weeks ago to begin a lifetime gluten-free, I
figured "oh well, this shouldn't take a Rocket Scientist."  Wrong!
After the humbling Kentucky Fried Chicken fiasco (skinning it would be
OK, right?) & daily mealtime confusion, it's time to ask for help.

In addition to 25 years of gut-torment ,decidedly itchy skin and severe
environmental sensitivities, I have extreme trouble breathing when I
encounter gliadins.  Nobody's ever been able to help with it.  2
days into the gf diet and it vanished, only to return from 3 accidental
gluten encounters.  This isn't a small thing, it means gasping for air
and  praying for death. Now, 4 days later I'm finally getting some air.
My question is, has anyone else in the whole world experienced this?  If
so, please tell me about it.  I also have very low levels (5) of
Salivary Secretory IgA.  One hypothesis is that the low levels of SIgA
(apparently from the high gliadin antibody count) has rendered the
mucosal immunity invalid and that includes the lungs.  I would very much
appreciate input.  My doctors haven't a clue.
Thanks, Barb Huston