From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 08:51:12 -0500

At 09:32 AM 11/2/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience dealing with Hashimoto's disease, aka
>(I think) lymphocytic thyroiditis?  Is there any potential remedial
>connection with a gf diet, or documented connection with celiac disease?

The likely connection is genetic only, hence being GF would have no benefit.
Hashimotos' thyroiditis is another autoimmune disease. THe body's immune
system attacks the thyroid. As such, (One of?) its gene(s) is in the same
part of the genome as the HLA one for celiac disease. So once, by genetic
chance, the disease form of each appear in one person, there's a high
probability that that pair will be passed on to offspring. True even if the
first family member to have both genes doesn't  have either disease.

A concrete example: Type I diabetes occurs at a rate of 0.5 % in the
geneneral population versus roughly 5% among celiacs. There is no cause and
effect connection between the error in carbohydrate metabolism in diabetes
and the protein error in celiac. Unless Hashimoto's occurs at comparable
rates in the general population, reliable overlap data will hard to find.

                                  Kemp Randolph
                                  Long Island