From:
Graham J KENT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:38:49 +0100

Dear List-members,

In my message on Monday, 8th September, I said that there were TWO types
of Colman's mustard : the Double Superfine (DSF) and the Genuine Double
Superfine (GDX).  I WAS WRONG !

I've just had another conversation with Sarah Nolan. I thought that she
was a member of Colman's, but Oh NO ! She is not just a member of
Colman's ... she is Nutritional Manager for Van Den Bergh Foods who, as
part of the UNILEVER Group own Van Den Bergh and Colman's (UK, Inc. &
Overseas) etc. etc. She seems to be the boss of Dr John Scholey (who
Linda spoke of recently).

My question this time had been left with their Customer Service
department who passed the query on to Sarah Nolan.

Graham : Can you help me identify which tin of Colman's Mustard is which?

Sarah : Looking at the THREE (Me ???) tins I have in front of me :

The UK one is "Colman's Mustard", "Double Superfine "COMPOUND", is
marked "made in Great Britain, Carrow, Norfolk" and the ingredients list
is "Mustard Flour, Wheat Flour and spices". The weight is given as 113g.
NOTE : it does NOT say ENGLISH mustard!    ****** NOT GLUTEN-FREE ******

The US one is marked "Colman's English Mustard", "Double Superfine",
"Warranted Pure", distributed by Reckitt & Colman Inc. and Net Wt. 4 oz
(113g).   ** GLUTEN-FREE **

The one for Continental Europe, the Arab countries etc. is labelled
"Genuine Warranted Pure" and is distributed by Reckitt & Colman
(Overseas) Ltd.    ** GLUTEN-FREE **

Well, there we have it (I hope!).

When the subject of Colman's came up, I did not realize that there were
so many differences ! I missed one word ... Compound whilst everyone
else (I mean this ... no-one suggested the difference) missed the
"Genuine" or "Warranted Pure".

PLEASE folks, can we all check our tins (at home or in the shops) and
confirm what I've said. If no-one says I'm wrong this time, then we all
have a method of checking this one product throughout the world !

AND, most importantly, can we check the label and when we ask a question
of all listmembers, can we say where the item is made, as well as it's
name etc. ?

Graham KENT
An English Coeliac from Lincoln, England.

PS We also discussed Trade Marks & international labelling ... but
that's in another message to come later.