From:
Debra Boutin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 05:38:16 -0400

I called UpJohn labs yesterday about Motrin.

Like Bayer, they also said that they didn't add gluten and wouldn't
guarantee it gluten free.  However, they were willing to tell me every
ingredient and the source of each ingredient: for instance their
pregelatinized starch has corn as a source.  They had clearly done their
homework, were aware of the issues, and were willing to share that
information.  They just wouldn't use the words "gluten free."  This is
just a matter of semantics and is probably the idea of some overly
worried person in the company.  I would rather have a company who seems
to know the issues, and has done some work to look into them, and is willing
share their information with me than a company who is willing to tell me
their product is gluten free but doesn't seem to know the details (I've
made a nubmer of those calls.)

So maybe we should judge a company on the information they provide and
not whether they are willing to make the conclusion "gluten free."  I
feel much reassured about taking Motrin now that I know the vegetable
source of each of their ingredients (they were all corn based).

By the way, UpJohn's phone number is 616-323-4000.

Debra Boutin
Ithaca, NY