From:
Karen M Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 15:40:01 +0000

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> To which he replied, maybe it is Irritable Bowel
> Syndrome...And I said "What Is That?" and he replied, "We don't know. Medical
> science is limited...."

Awhile back, I went to a talk at the local support group, where we
had the pleasure of hearing Dr. Joe Murray (who's on the Cel-Pro
list). The one comment he made that struck me (hard - I still
remember it) is that "there's no such thing as idiopathic irritable
bowel" (IBS of unknown causes)... I believe the next phrase was an
uncharitable remark about doctors who diagnosed IBS in their
patients...

Julie wrote:

> Don't each of us with CD or a wheat allergy (or whatever I have??) suffer
> IBS. In fact, I was diagnosed with this 9 years ago.  IBS seems to be caused
> by stress, so if you relax, meditate, drink boiled water (plain), a very
> bland diet, eat prunes and take 2 doses daily of a 100% WHEAT product like
> Citrucel--you should be fine. Boy did I get sicker. My stress level has gone
> down, however, I think it's because my IBS is gone.

Ummm... last I looked (3 years ago, when I was pregnant with my
daughter), Citrucel was the one bulk laxative that we *could* take,
because it's made from citrus byproducts... (no grain at all)...
Psyllium seed, on the other hand, *is* a grass, and can be hard on
the system of many celiacs :-(  OTOH, most of the doctors I saw
before we figured out what was "wrong", wanted me on a "low residue"
diet for IBS, which specifically *excludes* things like prunes and
bulk laxatives (but does include plenty of dry toast ;-)

karen

Karen M. Davis, Davis & Associates                             818-892-8555
The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your hands
& hoping when a rock or a club will do. (attributed to McCloctnik the Lucid)