Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:35:32 GMT

Sweet shirl:
I don't mean to sound like Pollyanna; maybe I do. I consider myself a
person who lives a full life and has celiac disease and dermatitis
herpetiformis. I don't consider myself a disease who is not a complete
person!

My husband shops for me and considers my problem. He also buys whatever
suits him for himself. My rule is "if I can't eat it, I don't cook it! He
has become quite adept at spaghetti and some other goodies. Generally, he
has those meals when I have an evening meeting. Before those meetings, I do
not eat supper. I wait until I get home and have a snack.

I just don't want to cheat. I am not suffering if I see someone else
enjoying a food I can't eat! I am thankful I am not eating anything that
will cause a spasm.

Please don't think of us as pathetic creatures! I have attended banquets
where people don't even notice what I eat or don't. If I don't touch the
entree', they generally assume I was too busy with conversation.

I do want attention in labeling and food identification. I feel the
government owes it to celiacs. I do not want to be dependent on
institutions who do not care about my condition. However, I am horrified to
think that you look upon us with pity! WOW!

My friends and relatives eat anything they want around me.  Sometimes I get
strange looks when I ask my hostess if I can read the carton or bag
something came in. At a party the other day, my hostess explained my
curiosity as being "Maureen is an avid reader".  The lady accepted the
explanation and we had a delightful talk later about books, without further
reference to my fetish for reading containers.

Let us be happy for others, and let them find something to like in us.
AMS
--
A Surra <[log in to unmask]>San Antonio, TX