RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 19:39:18 -0800
Sol:
> 1. I'm told that wheatgrass will keep in the fridge for a week. I'm wondering
>   how much of the enzymes and other nutrients die after the grass is cut and
>   at what rate.

>2. Is there any data comparing, say, 3 day old refrigerated wheatgrass to a
>   "good" brand of bottled wheatgrass, again, in terms of enzyme and nutrient
>   loss?

Tom:
Ann Wigmore recommends drinking the wheatgrass immediately to prevent loss of
nutrients, but gives no nutrient analysis comparisons, which is what you
are asking for. In "Cereal Grass", edited by Ronald L. Seibold, there is an
analysis of dehydrated cereal grass (pg. 51, too long to type in). I looked
through a number of Ann Wigmore's books and could not find a similar nutrient
compostion table for fresh wheatgrass. If any list member knows of such an
analysis, please post the information here.

P.S. adding a bit of lime or lemon juice to the wheatgrass may prolong its
storage life - lemon/lime juices are anti-oxidants.

Sol:
>3. How does wheatgrass compare to barleygrass in terms of nutrients and
>   purported health benefits?

Tom:
I've never used barleygrass, only wheatgrass. There are some barleygreen users
on this list who might be able to address this question.

Sol:
>4. Does anyone have personal good or bad experiences with wheatgrass? Any
>   experience with "dose?" I chew on it because I think wheatgrass is a good
>   things but haven't noticed any good or bad effects.

Tom:
I have tried it and find it can be helpful - can be energizing, without any
side-effects (for me). I have seen people new to it, drink a large amount
and get upset stomach, vomit, or diarrhea. So, new users should start slowly
and get adjusted to it - it is actually a strong medicinal herb. I usually
drink 2-3 ounces at a time, before a meal.

Tom Billings