RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sol Lederman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 08:14:33 -0800 (PST)
Hi!

I'm following all of this talk of avocado addiction with interest. My
particular craving, not an addiction YET, or a denied addiction, is with nuts.
Several times now I've bought some raw almonds, taken them home and I'd be ok
eating just a few now and then for a while and then one day, wham!, I can eat
four or five ounces in one fell swoop. The second time this happened to me in
less than a month I tossed the rest of the bag to keep from eating the rest of
it.

I know that it's better to soak and skin the almonds but I do find the taste
much better when I don't soak them. The one time I soaked and skinned some, to
make almond milk, I didn't like the texture and the taste. I have a memory of
once soaking some lima beans, and getting VERY sick from them. I threw up for
several HOURS from those lima beans. The sad part of the story is that when I
started eating those lima beans I knew something wasn't right with the taste
and smell. I ignored strong stop signals from my body because I thought that
those soaked organic limas were good for me that I let myself get really sick.
It may be that I needed to rinse and clean the beans more before and/or after
their soaking. Anyway, the taste and texture of the soaked almonds, the slimy
slipperiness, reminded me of those lima beans.

I have some trouble, though not as much, with raw pumpkin seeds. The pumpkin
seeds are new to my diet; maybe the novelty will wear off?

Sunflower seeds I can much on without eating them all.

The absolutely worst "gotta have all of it reaction" came when my girlfriend
and I were shopping at Trader Joes. She noticed a jar of almond butter, the
almonds weren't raw though, and we bought it. When we got home I took one
taste and got such a hit of "gimme more" both of use were absolutely amazed.
She ended up taking the jar home and she'll be "spoon feeding" it to me a
little at a time or making it into sauces. I wonder if raw almond butter would
give me the same hit.

So, do any of you folks out there have trouble with nut and seed consumption?

Sol