RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 19:11:32 -0800
You wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>Hey, would anybody happen to have a recipe for hummus
>using sprouted garbanzos & sesame seeds?  It would save me a lot of
>experimenting.

>From the "High Integrity Diet" by Michael Blair Schleyer, Ph.d. p. 92:

                              Hummus.

1/3 c. tahini
1/2 - 2/3 c. water
1 lemon (peel as you would orange)
1 c. sprouted garbanco beans
1 clove garlic. minced
6 sprigs parsley
1 T. Braggs

Blend tahini and water in bowl. After well-mixed put in blender.  Add
lemon sections garlic and parsley and blend in blender. Gradually add
beans with blender on medium.  Add water to adjust to desired
consistency.  Add Braggs. Serve with falafal, as a dip, or alone.
(I would leave out the Braggs, add some paprika and some more garlic.)

>quite a while ago someone mentioned making crackers out of soaked flax
>seeds.  Whoever you are, if you're still on the list,
>could you explain how to make them?

It was not me, but I found the following in "Uncooking With Jamey &
Kim" p. 14:
                         Flax Crackers.

1 c. flax seeds (do not blend - oils are sensitive- keep whole)
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 c. purified water.
Optional: Flavor #1: 4-5 cloves garlic (or to taste), 3/8 c. celery
juice, & 3 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
Optional: Flavor #2: 2 T Bragg s & 2 t Italian seasoning (herbal blend)

Plain flax crackers: Soak flax seeds in 1 1/2 c. water for about 5-7
hours.  You will then have a gelatinous mixture.  Pour mix out on
dehydrator tray, and spread out to an approximate 1/8-1/4 uniform
thickness.  Using a "butter knife", slice lines through the flax
mixture in desired cracker shapes (such as squares or triangles).
Dehydrate at 110 degrees Farenheit for about 24 hours or until crispy.
Peel off tray ad enjoy!
Flavor #1:  In a blender, blend garlic into 1 1/4 c. water before
soaking the flax seeds in it.  After soaking for about 5 hours, add the
celery juice and lemon juice to the mixture.  Form into crackers and
dehydrate as explained above.  Due to the seasonings, dehydration time
is slightly longer than the plain crackers.  Experiment with other
seasonings as desired.
Flavor #2:  Soak flax seeds in 1 1/2 c. plain water for 5-7 hours.
Next, thoroughly mix in 2 tablespoons Braggs and 2 t italian seasoning.
Then dehydrate into crackers as explained above.

>TIA,
>Martha Seagoe, in disguise as Fred Cook

Best, Peter