RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 05:47:19 EST
>remember somebody telling me the blood test were completely
>irrelevant, because the level fluctuates so much. I don't know whether
>this is true or not.

If you don't have any symptoms (like being tired all the time, wanting to
sleep 12 hrs a day, painful tinglings in hands or other nerves, poor
digestion), you probably don't have any deficiency.

>I am not for the egg yolks. What are good vegan raw sources of B-12?
>I am eager to give this possibility a try.

They all have problems associated with them.  We can name seaweed,
unwashed organic produce (B-12 in the dirt that clings to them), super
blue green algae (which may not be such a hot food).

The best I can think of is bee pollen, unless you don't consider that
vegan either.  Or pills or B-12 injections.

>>Too much fruit can also cause B-12 deficiency (or too much
>>vitamin C for that matter).

>How so? Any fruit or just sweet fruit?

Sweet fruit mainly.

>What is too much vitamin C? An orange juice a day, or you are talking
>about synthetic sources?

Synthetic sources (or 20 oranges/day).

>>Do you suffer any painful nerve sensations in the extremities?  This
>is another symptom of B-12 problems.  Fasting would help too.

>Thanks for asking this. I don't experience pain, but I feel a
>tingling sensation in different postures. Also numbness.
>I have fasted twice, trying to solve this problem, but it didn't
>help, and the second time I lost muscle and weight I haven't been able
>to regain.

Well, do this, then.  Buy a bottle of B-12 sublingual lozenges (or nasal
spray) and take some.  If the tingling goes away, you had a B-12
deficiency.  If so, then take one of those pills every month or so until
your digestion improves.  Do you have loose stools?

>Last question: other than a B-12 deficiency, what else could be
>causing my constant weakness? Thanks for your help, sir.

How much sleep do you get?

Bob Avery ([log in to unmask])