RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 12:07:22 -0800
roy caught me:

>>in sanskrit,the word for "war" translates as "the desire for more cows"

> My Sanskrit is not that great, but from what little I know, the words
> "war", "warrior" and "chess" have the same root ("kshatr"). They
> don't appear to have any connection with the root for "cow" or > "desire".

> Roy

	i'd like to thank roy for making me look this up & getting it
straight.  interesting connection to "chess."  anyone else read the
essene art of asha by dr. edmond bordeaux szekely?  he traces chess back
to early sumeria & zarathustra.  learning about ahura mazda & fravashis &
khastras & all that got me to play more chess.  let us turn now to page
31 of _beyond_beef_ by jeremy rifkin:

	In Sanskrit the very term "battle" --*gavisti*-- means "desire
for cattle," and a successful warlord was often referred to as Gopa,
"lord of cattle."(4)

now from page 36 of same:

	It ought to be noted that even the Vedic word for "war" meant
"desire for cows."(10)

notes

4.  Bruce Lincoln, _Priests,_Warriors,_and_Cattle_ (Berkeley: University
	of California Press, 1981), 101.

10. Quincy Wright, _A_Study_of_War_ (Chicago: University of Chicago
	Press, 1942), 1:134.

cowed,
      bodhi